Free Trial of ArrayStar and QSeq on Macintosh
In order to run ArrayStar and QSeq on a Macintosh, you need Parallels Desktop with Windows installed.
If you already have Parallels Desktop and Windows (or a Windows Virtual PC), please download DNASTAR Lasergene 10 for Mac which includes the ArrayStar for Parallels installer.
If you do not have Parallels Desktop, please follow the directions below for installing a free trial of ArrayStar and QSeq. Note that this process requires the download and installation of Parallels Desktop followed by the download and installation of Windows, and will take 3-4 hours to complete.
For other options for installing ArrayStar and QSeq, please contact us.
Before following the steps below, please note the system requirements:
Mac OS X 10.6 and higher (x64)
1.6 GHz or faster x86 CPU
16 GB of RAM
200 GB of available hard-disk space
Note: The RAM requirement listed is for the virtual machine on Parallels. In order to allocate 8 GB of RAM to Parallels, you will need at least 16 GB of RAM on your Mac.
Step 1: Download and Install Parallels Desktop 7
- 1. Go to the Parallels website to download a free trial of Parallels Desktop 7.
- 2. Once the download is complete, install Parallels by following the on-screen instructions and using the default settings.
- 3. Following installation, open Parallels by navigating to Applications:Parallels Desktop.
- 4. Activate Parallels by using the activation key that was emailed to you.
- 5. Close the Welcome screen, then select Parallels Desktop>Quit Parallels Desktop.
Step 2: Download and Install ArrayStar and QSeq Free Trial
- 1. Click the following link to download a free trial of ArrayStar and QSeq for Mac.
- Note: This is a large file (approximately 3 GB). Slower connection speeds may cause the download to take up to 3-4 hours.
- 2. Double-click on ArrayStarFreeTrial.dmg to display its contents.
- 3. Double-click on BuildVM (.command) from the ArrayStarFreeTrial.dmg contents folder to create the virtual machine.
- » Do not close the Terminal window until you are prompted to do so.
- » If you receive a warning that "reconfiguration iso is unavailable," it is safe to ignore it.
- 4. Once the VM has been successfully configured, a dialog asking "Do you want to close this window?" will appear. Click Close.
Step 3: Setting Up Windows and Installing Parallels Tools
- 1. Launch Parallels Desktop from the Applications folder.
- 2. In the Welcome Screen, choose Use your Virtual Machines.
- 3. Following configuration of the virtual machine, close the Coherence message by clicking the X in the upper left corner of the screen.
- 4. Log into Windows using Login: Administrator and Password: Array*
- Note: Some Macintosh keyboards may require you to select Devices>Keyboard>Ctrl+Alt+Delete in place of pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete on your keyboard to log in).
- 5. After logging in, Windows will restart. Log in again using Login: Administrator and Password: Array*
- 6. From Parallels, select Virtual Machine>Install Parallels Tools.
Step 4: Installing DNASTAR Navigator
- 1. Double-click on DNASTAR Navigator 2.2.1 Mac Installer.
- 2. Follow the on-screen instructions to install Navigator.
- 3. Use DNASTAR Navigator to launch your ArrayStar and QSeq free trial under the Gene Expression Analysis or Next-Gen Sequence Assembly and Analysis section.
- 4. Authorize your ArrayStar and QSeq free trial by entering the product key that was emailed to you from DNASTAR.
Step 5 (Optional): Turning on Sharing in Parallels
This optional step is for users who want to export sequences from ArrayStar with QSeq directly to SeqMan NGen for assembly and analysis.
- 1. From Parallels, select Virtual Machine>Shut Down.
- 2. Select Virtual Machine>Configure and then click on the Options tab.
- 3. Select Sharing from the menu on the left.
- 4. Check the box next to Shared Profile labeled Share Mac user folders with Windows and then click OK.