In this part of the tutorial, you will be adding protein sequences to the MegAlign Pro project and aligning them with the Clustal Omega algorithm using the default settings.
- If a MegAlign Pro project is already open, choose File > New Alignment Project. Otherwise, launch MegAlign Pro.
- Choose File > Add Sequences, or click on the Add sequences to project tool ().
- Navigate to and open the demo data folder Lasergene ‘x’ Data\Demo MegAlign Pro\ADH project, where ‘x’ denotes the Lasergene version. This folder contains alcohol dehydrogenase sequences from five animal species.
- Use Ctrl+A (Win) or Cmd+A (Mac) to select all five protein sequences and click Open.
- In the Overview at the top left of the MegAlign Pro window, note the appearance of a series of gray blocks, one for each sequence. The gray blocks have the lengths of their corresponding sequences. Solid gray blocks and varying block lengths are both indicative of sequences that have not yet been aligned.
- To align sequences with Clustal Omega using the default parameters, choose Align > Align Using Clustal Omega or click the Align tool arrow ( ) and choose Align Using Clustal Omega. Sequences now appear mostly in green, with gray representing gaps.
Proceed to Part B: Navigate using the Overview.
Need more help with this?