The following timeline shows the release dates of the “classic” Lasergene applications and their modern counterparts:
- 1992 – PrimerSelect was DNASTAR’s original application for primer design and primer catalog creation, while MegAlign offered pairwise and multiple sequence alignment and the creation of phylogenetic trees.
- 1997 – EditSeq was DNASTAR’s original application for creating and editing sequences and their features.
- 2001 – With increasing popularity of the Internet, PrimerSelect, MegAlign and EditSeq were upgraded to allow searching of NCBI’s BLAST and Entrez databases.
- 2005 – SeqBuilder was added to the Lasergene software offering for virtual cloning, PCR primer design, plasmid map creation, and sequence editing.
- 2013 – MegAlign Pro was released with Lasergene 11.0 for multiple sequence alignments and visualization.
- 2017 – SeqBuilder Pro was released with Lasergene 15.0 and SeqBuilder was retired. SeqBuilder Pro featured a beautiful new interface and supported additional cloning methods and agarose gel simulation. To smooth the transition from EditSeq and PrimerSelect, SeqBuilder Pro even featured a button that users could press to make the interface resemble their favorite classic applications.
- 2018 – Pairwise alignment functionality was added to MegAlign Pro.
- 2019 – With the release of Lasergene 16.0 in mid-2019, EditSeq, PrimerSelect and MegAlign will be retired.
Need more help with this?
Thanks for your feedback.