MegAlign Pro offers a complete sequence alignment software package, including everything you need for each stage of an alignment – not only the algorithms needed for aligning both gene-level and genome-scale sequence data, but also the capability to dig deep in the post-alignment stage.
MegAlign Pro performs multiple and pairwise sequence alignments quickly and easily, then guides you through the post-alignment process, allowing you to generate phylogenetic trees, separate interesting regions for new subalignments, edit and trim individual sequences or the entire alignment, and customize the appearance of your alignment before generating high-quality images, suitable for publication.
UNIVERSITIES TRUST DNASTAR
BIOTECH AND PHARM COMPANIES RELY ON DNASTAR
JOURNAL CITATIONS OF DNASTAR
DNASTAR USERS WORLDWIDE
MegAlign Pro Workflows
Please see our resources below for more information on MegAlign Pro sequence alignment software.
“I use MegAlign Pro almost every day and find it invaluable.”
“I’ve used MegAlign Pro to do multiple sequence alignments of both amino acid and nucleotide sequences. It produces beautiful graphics for inclusion in posters, etc. as well as accurate and informative alignments.”
Quick and easy
“Quick and easy multiple alignments, The drag and drop ability makes alignments fast to assemble.”
What multiple sequence alignment methods are available in MegAlign Pro?
MegAlign Pro sequence alignment software includes Clustal Omega, Clustal W, MAFFT, and MUSCLE algorithms for aligning both DNA and protein sequences.
Can I modify my multiple sequence alignment in MegAlign Pro?
Yes. MegAlign Pro supports multiple ways to modify an alignment. You can:
- Trim ends at the beginning or end of an alignment.
- Realign a range of aligned sequences using different parameters or a different alignment engine.
- Merge two existing completed alignments together.
- Add all/selected sequences from the “Unaligned Sequences” area into the current alignment, while retaining all of the gaps of the original, pre-merge alignment.
- Realign existing aligned sequences plus selected unaligned sequences
What methods does MegAlign Pro offer for computing phylogeny?
MegAlign Pro offers two methods for generating phylogenetic trees: RAxML, for computer Maximum Likelihood trees, and the Neighbor Joining method, which uses the BIONJ algorithm.
What pairwise alignment methods does MegAlign Pro offer and how do I know which one to use?
MegAlign Pro features three pairwise sequence alignment tools:
- Local Pairwise Alignment is designed specifically to find the highest scoring aligned segments of two sequences, even if the full extent of the two is not included in the final alignment.
- Global Pairwise Alignment doesn’t try to find the best scoring segment, but instead requires that the full extent of both sequences be included in their results. There is no requirement or guarantee that the best scoring pair of aligned segments from a local alignment will be aligned in a global alignment.
- Semi-Global Pairwise Alignment is a relatively new approach that is particularly suitable when the two sequences differ greatly in length. When that happens, the longer sequence will have overhangs on either end of the alignment. Since overhangs are represented with gaps, a global aligner will attempt to increase the match score and minimize accumulated gap penalties by aligning parts of the shorter sequence to overhanging sequence region(s). This effect can produce a number of unrealistic, usually small aligned segments spaced by gaps near the ends of the alignment. Semi-global alignment is designed to address this problem by not penalizing gaps in overhangs (aka “end gaps”).
Compare DNASTAR Lasergene Packages
|MOST POPULARDNASTAR Lasergene|
|Lasergene Molecular Biology||Lasergene Genomics||Lasergene Protein|
(+1 prediction per Nova Application)
|Antibody Phage Display|
|Automated Virtual Cloning|
|Clone Sequence Verification|
|Gel Electrophoresis Simulation|
|Mauve Genome Alignment|
|Multiple Sequence Alignment|
|Pairwise Sequence Alignment|
|PCR Primer Design|
|PCR Site-Directed Mutagenesis|
|Sequence Editing and Annotation|
|Sanger Sequence Assembly|
|ChIP-Seq Data Analysis|
|De Novo Transcriptome Assembly|
|Large Scale Variant Analysis|
|NGS De Novo Genome Assembly|
|Whole Exome/Genome Sequencing|
|Protein Sequence Analysis|
|Protein Stability Prediction|
|Protein Structural Alignment|
|Protein Structure Analysis|
|Protein Structure Prediction|
|DNASTAR Cloud Data Drive|
|DNASTAR Cloud Assemblies|
Annual pricing starting at: